1.28.2015

plugged in

Perhaps I feel I have nothing profound to say, or it could be that there are so many other ways to share what is going on with my life without having to get too deep ( ie instagram, facebook, twitter), that I have completely given up on this blog. Every now and then I think "Shit, I should write something", not for anyone else really - more for myself, because a blog acts somewhat like the new-age diary. A digital track of life. However, like Oscar Wilde said " The truth is rarely pure and never simple", so how can one possibly correctly record how they are feeling, or "the truth",  especially when they know that everyone will see/read it, including random "friends" from high school that you haven't seen in over 10 years? The digital age has somewhat transformed us into very "fake" people. I am not trying to sound negative, don't get me wrong, I love posting happy photos on instagram and seeing how many people "like" what they see and in a lot of ways, those photos are a good representation of my life as it is. Photos, however, only depict the happy side of life. People sit on their phones/computers/tablets and see all these happy photos and happy thoughts from people, motivational quotes about "going for a run" or "eating healthy", photos of people having a great time with a shitload of new friends and think that perhaps their life is not that great. Do these photos motivate them to have a better life, or does it make them feel forlorn? Is the grass always greener on the other side? I have recently started to do a bit of yoga, and I started following a bunch of "yogi's" on instagram - and on one side it motivates me to be better at yoga, and then some days I see photos and I think "shit, I will never be able to look like that, or do that". Has it stopped me from doing yoga? No. Has it made me unfollow a few people? Hells yes. I don't really know what the answer is, but R and I have both realised that we are far too "plugged in" and that when you step back a bit and experience this forgotten land called real life you feel a lot healthier and happier.
My goal this year is to spend more time enjoying life. See more friends, run/walk outside, read books and in general be more positive and happy. This isn't to say I won't be instagramming or updating my facebook, those things are so easy to do. I just want to make more of an effort to do the things that have become harder to do, like spending an evening in with R without looking at our phones.
So why am I blogging now? Who fucking knows, I felt like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave Charlotte a comment about this story - she would love to hear from you!