11.08.2013

My Heart



 What a year to say the least. To keep a really really really really long story short, I found out earlier this year that I had a significantly large atrial septal defect. For those of you who don't have a clue what that is or what that even means (this included me before April of this year), it is basically a hole in the heart that you are born with. A heart "defect" if you must.
 Since finding out about this special hole of mine, I have been back and forth between here and Canada to sort out how and where I was going to have surgery. In the end, I decided to have it here in Nelspruit. My parents took the 25 hour long journey here to hold my hand, while R and his family did their best to entertain them while I was incapable of doing so.
 My open heart surgery went perfectly. What an experience. I have never been admitted to hospital before, let alone had any sort of surgery, so it was a lot of firsts for me. The experience was not fun and there has been a lot of ups and downs, but everything was a lot easier than I had expected. Yesterday marked a month since my surgery, and I am finally getting back into a routine and starting my life "post op". I am still recuperating, but feeling really good and I am so grateful for how well the surgery and my recovery has been. Modern medicine is absolutely incredible and I have so many things to be thankful for this year.

Without getting too gushy and philosophical on everyone, I would just like to say my patched up heart loves you. Life is wonderful.

2 comments:

  1. What a scary experience Charlotte! I am so happy that your recovery has been going well. Take it easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Post Char! Hard to sum up everything into a short story! Our hearts all feel full with for you as well! xoxo
    Adge

    ReplyDelete

Please leave Charlotte a comment about this story - she would love to hear from you!